Listen to a conversation between two giants of the local economy movement in this extended episode. Helena Norberg-Hodge founded Local Futures, produced the film The Economics of Happiness, and wrote the book Ancient Futures: Learning from Ladakh. Wendell Berry is a poet and activist, an author of over 40 books, and a lifelong advocate for ecological health, the beauty of rural life, and small-scale farming. Their far-reaching discussion touches on human nature, technology, experiential knowledge, agriculture policy, happiness, wildness, and local food systems.
– Helena’s biography
– Wendell’s website and biography
– ‘In Distrust of Movements’
– Wendell’s article on the 50-Year Farm Bill
– Wendell’s newest book, The Art of Loading Brush: New Agrarian Writings, published in 2017 just after this conversation was recorded
– The Round of a Country Year: A Farmer’s Day Book, by David Kline
Music: “Is That You or Are You You?” by Chris Zabriskie (CC BY 4.0). Photo by Guy Mendes, 2012.
Write to [email protected] with your comments and ideas for future topics/guests.