Local is Beautiful!
The Economics of Happiness World Forum was held on November 11th and 12th, 2017 at the Japan Education Center in Tokyo. This event focused on strengthening existing movements and forging alliances for a fundamental shift in society towards human and ecological well-being. It provided a big-picture framework that unites those concerned with the outer/political and those focused on the inner/spiritual.
Local Futures collaborated with a large number of Japanese organizations for this event. The Coordinator is our close colleague and IAL member, Professor Keibo Oiwa, who has the support of his University, Meiji Gakuin.
Others included representatives from:
- The Sloth Club , which promotes the concept of “Slow” as a prescription against the ever accelerating “Fast” world. (See website in Japanese language here);
- The Goi Peace Foundation, which aims to foster a sustainable and harmonious global society by promoting consciousness, values and wisdom for creating peace;
- The Slow Food movement, Japan;
- Global Ecovillage Network, Japan;
- Transition Town Japan;
- The Muji company, committed to non-consumerist, zero-waste, simple and beautiful products (the name ‘Muji’ means ‘no brand’);
- The Pal System, leaders in the progressive food co-op movement in Japan, providing one million households with fresh produce from regional centers;
- Johnan Shinkin Bank, one of the biggest co-op banks in the Tokyo area;
- Kamakura Investment Management, which invests in small domestic firms that focus on the environment.
Articles in Japanese news
- Tokyo News, November 11, 2017
- Kahoku Sinpo newspaper, November 12, 2017
- Kahuko Sinpo newspaper special, November 14, 2017
- Alterna online, November 24, 2017
- Think of the Earth News, November 27, 2017
- Local Biz, December 1, 2017
- Talk of George Ferguson, by Local Biz, December 4, 2017
Watch videos from the Economics of Happiness World Forum:
Filmed by Shinichi “stern” kusajima Haguro yamabushi (撮影 簡易編集 草島進一 鶴岡市議会議員 羽黒山伏)