Each year Local Futures takes a few qualified volunteers to help run our programs in Ladakh. Accepted candidates are those who have at least some familiarity with issues of globalization, development and their alternatives.
Our 2017 program will run from mid-June through the beginning of September. We ask volunteers to commit to staying for at least one month and to living as part of a small community in the village of Sankar, about 25 minutes walk above the center of Leh. Volunteers should budget for living expenses in Ladakh of around $12 (US dollars) a day (depending on the exchange rate). Unfortunately Local Futures cannot offer help with travel or other expenses.
Volunteer tasks may include:
- Running our daily film screenings and helping to lead discussions;
- Helping to get the word out about the film screenings and Economics of Happiness Workshops, including making and distributing posters and reaching out to travel agencies, tour groups, and hotels to offer special screenings, etc.;
- Helping organize and run the Economics of Happiness Workshops;
- Producing educational materials for our Mindful Travel/Tourist Education Program, including updating our Eco-Friendly Guidebook for Leh City;
- Translating or helping find translators for Local Futures’ materials;
- Supporting the Ladakhi organizations that we work with, including the Ladakh Women’s Alliance (WAL), Ladakh Ecological Development Group (LEDeG) and village groups;
- General clean-up, building repairs and gardening.
To apply or for more information, please contact [email protected]
Useful links for travellers and volunteers in Ladakh: