Some places never leave you: their beauty, whether it’s the land or its people and their culture, something impacts you deeply in ways I find difficult to convey. This is what happened when I participated in Learning from Ladakh. Living with a Ladakhi family and working on their farm make me question preconceived notions about development, think again about the benefits of globalization, and realize there are alternatives. I recommend this programme to anyone with an interest in these issues.
~ Lauren Howe, Learning from Ladakh participant ~
Join Local Futures
in Ladakh in the summer of 2017
If you are considering a trip to Ladakh this summer, you may be interested in joining our Learning from Ladakh programme. It is a chance to learn from the experience that we have gained over four decades. The programme takes an international perspective, but draws heavily on the lessons to be learned from Ladakh’s traditional culture, values and way of life, as well as from the changes that Ladakh is undergoing, as a result of “modern development”, tourism and pressures from the consumer-based global economy.
Through our LFL programme, you’ll gain a deep understanding of the root causes of today’s global crises and learn about effective strategies for positive change. We will question the notions of progress and development and help you rethink your own life and society, through the “learning-from-Ladakh lense”. Simultaneously, you will learn about inspiring initiatives from Ladakh and around the world, and explore strategies for system change that can help you to become an effective change-maker for a healthy and fair future back home.
Help with the Harvest
If you are in Ladakh between late August and mid September – the harvest season – you will be able to join the Help-with-the-Harvest team. Every year, Local Futures organises for groups of volunteers to help Ladakhi farmers with their harvesting. For the farmers, this offers much needed labour; for the volunteers, an opportunity to pick apricots, or cut alfalfa and barley with a sickle, whilst staying with a family on traditional farms in villages nearby Leh, and in the process gain a better understanding of Ladakhi rural life and the profound changes it is undergoing.
We offer two Learning from Ladakh options this year:
OPTION 1 (July only)
• A five-day Learning from Ladakh workshop to be held between 20th to the 24th of July;
• help to organise a suitable farm-stay with a Ladakhi family of a length that fits your needs;
• a chance to live with or near the Local Futures’ team and to participate in communal dinners and evening discussion circles;
• free entrance to any of our summer workshops to be held during the months of June, July and August.
Cost: US$ 400
OPTION 2 (June, July and August)
• Participation in one of our short Economics of Happiness workshops in June, July or August;
• help to organise a suitable farm-stay with a Ladakhi family of the length that you desire;
• a chance to live with or near the Local Futures’ team and to participate in communal dinners and evening discussions.
Cost: US$ 200
NOTE: The above prices do not include room and board. You should calculate with approximately US$12 per day to cover basic accommodation & food.
To apply or for more information, please contact [email protected]