Our wide-ranging programs highlight the root causes of today’s many crises — from unemployment to climate change, from ethnic conflict to loss of biodiversity — while promoting grassroots and policy-level strategies for ecological and community renewal. We have worked in countries all over the world, including the UK, USA, Spain, Australia, India, Thailand, Bhutan and Japan. We currently run three main programs: Global to Local, The Lakakh Project and The Economics of Happiness.
Global to Local
The Global to Local program covers a wide range of actions, all of which focuses in a different way on the importance of localisation of societies and economies.
- The International Alliance for Localization (IAL) is a cross-cultural network of thinkers, activists and NGOs dedicated to exploring new visions of development and progress. The IAL operates on two separate but closely related fronts: Resistance and Renewal. People and groups of 58 different countries have joined the IAL up to date. Learn more About Being an IAL Member and to Join the IAL Member Sign Up Form.
As part of the IAL we organise:
- Global to Local webinars in where key issues in the Global to Local debate are discussed and are free for IAL members. To listen to past recordings of our webinars: Past recordings of Global to Local Webinars.
- Local Bites Podcast which features inspiring interviews with leaders of localization efforts from around the world. To listen to past Local Bites Podcast recordings: Past recordings of Local Bites Podcast.
- Planet Local is our web series featuring inspiring localization initiatives from around the world.
- Roots of Change study circle program is a curriculum, comprising voices of leading political, economic and ecological thinkers from around the world. The emphasis is on education for action: moving beyond single issues to look at the more fundamental influences that shape our lives. No academic background is required. Learn more about it’s goals and how it works and how to start a Study Circle.
Learning from Ladakh
Learning from Ladakh is Local Futures’ education program offering participants a range of opportunities to gain first-hand knowledge of the social and ecological issues facing a traditional culture as it meets the modern world. We organise Global to Local workshops, Traditional Knowledge and Skills workshops and Helping with the Harvest events. Learn more about the Local Futures’ History in Ladakh. Local Futures also provides information about Mindful Travel and Tourist Education Program. The brochure of ‘Mindful Travel in Ladakh‘ has been translated in a number of different languages.
The Economics of Happiness
The Economics of Happiness film, launched in 2011, explains the impact of globalisation on our social, spiritual and local communities and economies and highlights the many benefits of shifting towards the local. Our new abridged version and the full length version of the awarded film ‘The Economics of Happiness‘ can be watched here. We very much welcome initiatives of individuals and organisations to host a screening of The Economics of Happiness film or one of our other films or organise a DIY Economics of Happiness workshop. The Discussion Guide and Companion to the Film and the DIY Workshop Toolkit are free of charge.